Thursday, December 20, 2018

Russell’s Transgressions

Via the Chicago-Sun Times, Melisa Reidy tells details the abuse inflicted by Addison Russell. This struck me from early in their relationship, before the abuse started:


“He was never loyal,” Reidy says. Russell was sleeping with someone else from the beginning of their relationship, which resulted in an unintentional pregnancy. When Russell arrived home from Arizona after playing in the Fall League, Reidy found him to be standoffish, and a friend told her she had heard rumors about Addison. A few days later when she was at Russell’s home, she was shocked to see what seemed to be a sonogram sticking out of his bag. “I have nephews, I know what a sonogram looks like,” she says, “I went outside and smoked a cigarette…I went back up there and my heart’s beating out of my chest. I’ve never done that before. I looked and it was a sonogram. I’ll never forget that gut feeling.” After seeing the mother’s name on the sonogram, she looked it up on Facebook. They had one mutual friend, Russell. They’ve since become friendly and developed what Reidy describes as a deep respect for each other as mothers. “We were thrown into a situation with each other that was not truthful. We were both played,” Reidy says of the connection she has with Mallory. “To make her feel like he wanted to be with her…get somebody pregnant, leave them, get a girlfriend, then keep lying…it was very hard for her.”


Russell denied his involvement at first but eventually, Reidy says, he broke down and confessed. “He’s teary-eyed and I’m trying to put myself in his shoes…he’s a twenty-year-old kid. Everybody makes mistakes. Nobody’s perfect. I was like, you know what? You’re gonna be fine…my heart, it hurt for him, seeing him so distressed.” Melisa remembers consoling Russell, and then helping him tell his family later that day.

Expanded Roster

I put very few restrictions on my daughter’s life growing up, but one of the things I told her at a young age was that she could not marry a professional ballplayer. I understand that there are very good men who play the game, but my prior probability for them being faithful to their wives is extremely low. I understand the attraction; their drive to win at all costs makes them successful. If you have a daughter, however, show them this article, talk to them about the warning signs, and don’t let them marry someone like this.



from baseballmusings.com https://ift.tt/2GwYRyD

No comments:

Post a Comment