Friday, February 24, 2017

Harper Fatigued?

Bryce Harper talks about his post-MVP off season contributing to his poor 2016 regular season:

“There were certain times when I hit a ball to the track last year, and I think back and I’m like, ‘That should have been like three rows deep,’ ” Harper said. He remembered a ball he hit to dead center in Milwaukee. In his head: Gone. In reality: Caught.

“I’m like, ‘What the heck?’ ” Harper said. “I’m walking back, and I’m like, ‘Maybe if I had about 10 more pounds on me, or had worked out another day in the offseason, that might have been a homer.’ And it might not have been. But the thought was there for me.”

What emerged over the course of Thursday’s conversation was something Nationals fans might find encouraging for the 162 games ahead. Harper said, after winning the National League MVP in 2015, he ran himself ragged that offseason: a trip here, a sponsor’s appearance there, Jimmy Kimmel and the Super Bowl and whatever else he could experience. He was a kid. The candy store was expansive.

“I mean, that’s my choice,” he said. “And it’s on me. There’s certain things, it’s like, ‘Man, that’d be cool. I can’t pass that up. That’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing.’ But this offseason, I really sat down and was like, ‘You know, that’s probably not a good idea.’ ”

Harper started 2016 gangbusters, then faded quickly. One of many things I like about Harper is that he appears to learn from his mistakes. Back in May, 2012, Harper faced Livan Hernandez in a game. Hernandez came on in relief in the sixth inning, and struck out Harper on a slow, big breaking pitch. Harper got back to the dugout and took a ribbing from his teammates. Harper faced Hernandez again in the eighth, and tried to throw the same pitch past Harper. Harper crushed the ball for a home run.

We’ll see if 2016 was a winter mistake, and if Harper indeed corrected that one as well.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2lNeHJ8

No comments:

Post a Comment