Saturday, December 10, 2016

Dusk Raiders Space Marine Chaplain

It's taken me over a year to get him from built and a base made to getting him varnished but finally my Dusk Raiders Chaplain from the Betrayal at Calth box set is finished.


"What's a Dusk Raider?" some people may ask - well, a Dusk Raider is a pre-Primarch Death Guard marine, which are described in Flight of the Eisenstein as having "off white" armour, which I've interpreted to be an ivory/cream tone (deck tan to the rescue!). I also usually go with a red arm/fist in a Crimson Fists style to break it up a bit but for the Chaplain I decided I was going to change things up.

Anyone who knows Space Marines knows that Librarians are usually blue, Techmarines are usually red and Chaplains are black. I didn't really fancy painting him black with all that trim so instead I painted the arm I would paint a standard marine red in black, showing him as a Chaplain (along with the rather hefty weapon!), allowing me to keep the cream colour for the majority of him. The gold trim (and weapon) was painted up initially from a base of Darkstar Blackened Bronze, followed by a liberal dose of Vallejo Sepia wash which brings it from a bronze to a really nice rich gold. Highlights followed from Scale Colour's Elven Gold and Citrine Alchemy.






Instead of abandoning the red, I moved it to the cloak to keep it as the accent on the model. I started of with GW's Khorne Red before shading with Stegadon Scale Green and adding highlights with Evil Sunz Scarlet. The varnish on it frosted slightly which was a shame, but I've gone over the worst areas again without too much damage (though some of the highlights are a bit less blended in now!)



Once the main colours were plugged in, it was just a case of grabbing ones that wouldn't look hideous for the other stuff - I had Genestealer Purple on my desk as I hadn't gotten around to putting it away after it arrived so I used that on the plasma coil and added green grenades and eyes. The base was made from greenstuff using my Imperial Basius basing mold.






I plan on painting up a few more Dusk Raiders - I already have a few finished but thanks to Betreyal at Calth and Prospero, my small side project marine army has somehow morphed into a 3.5k point monster with detatchments of Custodes and Sisters of Silence. There might even be a FW Contemptor in the mix somewhere ;)


from Noobs and their paintbrush http://ift.tt/2heMGWq

No comments:

Post a Comment