Friday, December 23, 2016

Emphasizing Creativity with Rollouts

Standing Rollouts - Core Training

Over the years, I’ve worked with numerous core training exercises, but few can contend with rollouts from an abdominal wheel or similar device. The movement has been a staple in my routine for as long as I can remember. Rollouts are effective, convenient, and allow for countless variations. It has probably been years since I’ve gone a week without performing the exercise. Whether I’m in the gym or traveling, I always find a way to perform this versatile movement.

Ironically though, despite the fact that I’m about to share a rollout compilation, this entry is not entirely about the exercise. Instead, the video that follows is intended to highlight the fact that you can train almost anywhere with anything. It just so happens that I’ve chosen rollouts to emphasize this point.

Train Anywhere, With Anything

As you’ll see below, I can perform the exercise almost anywhere with a variety of tools. You’ll see a wooden dolly, furniture sliders, lawnmower tires, an actual lawnmower, an office chair, and more. It doesn’t matter where I am or what I have, I can always find a way to train.

What’s the Point?

As a former athlete and current coach, I’ve spent more time in the gym than most. Every day of my life revolves around training and coaching athletes. It’s not a hobby for me. It’s a career. It’s what I do and who I am. Therefore, it’s no surprise that I also pay attention to the exercise trends that exist in the industry today.

Never before have I seen so many complex discussions regarding exercise selection, programming, and nutrition. It never takes more than a few minutes of scrolling through my Facebook or Twitter feed to see another complex article being shared. It almost seems like the modern trainer is more concerned about showcasing his scientific prowess than he is about helping the people who actually read his material.

Meanwhile, I can walk outside with an old pair of lawnmower tires and get a hell of a workout. I don’t need anything complex to challenge myself and improve. All that I need is a little creativity and the willingness to work.

See the Forest for the Trees

Therefore, when you see me perform rollouts from a lawnmower or office chair, don’t confuse the message. I’m not suggesting that you need these items to train. Instead, I’m really just delivering a virtual smack in the face to the fitness establishment who wants the consumer to believe that he or she requires a complex system to improve.

The reality is that you don’t need any equipment or even a structured program to improve. Imagine if it was common for all adults to wake up and work through a series of pushups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, rollouts, etc. Would the average person really need anything else to survive and thrive in the world today?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Final Thoughts

In summary, creativity is one of the most valuable assets of all. It’s amazing what you can accomplish and create with an open mind. As I’ve said and demonstrated many times before, the world is your gym. Get up, move, and constantly look for new ways to challenge yourself.

It really isn’t that complicated.

+++++

“Complexity is enemy of execution”. – Anthony Robbins

The post Emphasizing Creativity with Rollouts appeared first on RossTraining.com.



from RossTraining.com http://ift.tt/2hQ9oXA

No comments:

Post a Comment