Thursday, February 22, 2018

Launching Grandal

At The Athletic (subscription required), Yasmani Grandal discusses his winter conversion to concentrating on his launch angle:

“I was always a power hitter, but I wasn’t trying to create it,” Grandal said. “I wasn’t going for a certain angle. I wasn’t into the kinetic chain. I wasn’t into being more efficient. The fact that I always hit the ball hard is a matter of the fact that I have power and strength.”

He knows the numbers. Slugging percentage cannot be obtained on the ground. Adding lift to a drive without subtracting strength should enable the baseball to travel farther.

“It was a matter of trying to figure out how we want to do it, or the right way to do it, so we can be as efficient as can be,” Grandal said. “But, at the same time, as powerful as we can be as well.”

Fantasy players might want to keep their eye on Grandal during spring training to see if the new swing is producing more power. Over the last three seasons, Wellington Castillo, Grandal, and Salvador Perez are closely grouped as the top three slugging catchers. If Grandal can put some distance between himself and the pack, he’ll be extremely valuable.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2CCdYPZ

No comments:

Post a Comment