Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Pattin Passes

Former pitcher Marty Pattin died today, Wednesday:

“Marty was one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met,” said Pattin friend and longtime Lawrence youth and semipro baseball coach/business owner Walt Houk. “I never heard him say a bad word about anybody.

“I ran into him at the grocery store about a week ago. He said, ‘With this little heart thing, I don’t know if I can get my arm up high enough to get my golf swing all the way through. I’ve got to get my clubs ready and get back out there,’’’ Houk added of avid golfer Pattin.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I believe I have a Pattin baseball card somewhere in my basement. Pattin finished his career with a winning record and a 3.62 ERA. At his peak, from 1970 through 1973, he pitched 970 1/3 innings, walking just 2.6 batters per nine innings, good for a 3.49 ERA



from baseballmusings.com https://ift.tt/2NjNjg8

No comments:

Post a Comment