Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Momentum – My Strengths and Struggles

Momentum

In a recent entry, I stated that consistency is my greatest weapon. There’s nothing fancy about how I train, but I don’t miss days. Thus, I’m never forced to start over and regain momentum. And momentum is powerful. I know what it’s like to have (from a training standpoint), but I also know what it’s like to lose in other areas. So, within this entry, I’ll share my strengths and struggles regarding the beast that I call momentum.

Definition

For our purposes, we can define momentum as strength or force gained by motion or by a series of events.

And it’s this simple definition that highlights the importance of starting. Just get up and go. Because action, motion, and forward progress create momentum.

Conversely, there’s no chance to build momentum if we are lost in paralysis by analysis. In other words, don’t overthink things. Regardless of your goals, you don’t need to have all the answers before starting. Often times, the best thing to do is to take a step forward.

Initially, you may not know where you’re going, but as the forward steps accumulate, so does your momentum. And it’s that momentum that allows you to learn by doing. You suddenly find a path, new ideas arise, and now you’re making progress.

My Strengths

When we think of momentum as strength or force gained by motion, that essentially summarizes my training. I am far from perfect, but one thing I am is consistent. Regardless of how I feel, I get up and go. I always do something.

As I’ve said before, something beats nothing. I am living proof. I don’t follow any fancy routines. On the contrary, my training is almost completely devoid of complexity.

Yet, it’s amazing how much can be accomplished when you work hard and remain consistent. My own consistent effort has allowed me to ride the wave of momentum for multiple decades now.

Good things happen when you bust your ass regularly.

My Struggles

Yes, I know all about the power of momentum. Unfortunately, I also know what it’s like to lose, and how difficult it can be to regain.

Long time readers of this site may know what I’m talking about. A few years ago, I used to update this blog several times a week. I was always busy working on new projects as well (ex. books, DVDs, etc.).

Eventually though, I got so busy coaching that I lost my creative momentum. The days started flying by and I forgot what it was like to be the person who started this site.

Many moons ago, I created this blog to share as much information with as many readers as possible. That was the goal, but I’ve failed in recent years. And that’s unfortunate because I’m wiser and more experienced now than ever before.

What’s the Point?

Some might be wondering why I’m writing about how I’ve struggled to write. Bear with me though, as I believe there’s an important lesson or two here.

First, it’s entirely possible to have momentum in some parts of your life, while struggling in others. Real life isn’t the highlight reel that many pretend it to be on social media. Real life is challenging, and no one is immune to such difficulties. We all need to recognize this simple fact.

Second, I also believe it is important to highlight, rather than hide, our own faults and flaws. I’m not ashamed to admit where I’ve failed, as doing so is often the first step necessary to turn the tide.

It’s impossible to fix a problem if you aren’t willing to admit that it exists.

The Solution

Fortunately, the solution to regaining momentum (in anything) is quite simple. It’s the execution that can be difficult.

It all boils down to action. You either do or you don’t. But when you do act, good things tend to happen.

For example, I sat down to write this entry an hour ago and here I am. It’s almost done. I would have never arrived here if I didn’t take that first step forward.

Final Thoughts

In summary, momentum is a beast. I’ve seen it in action as a coach and it is invaluable. The strength gained through motion can be incredible. Once again though, nothing happens without action.

So, stop delaying, get up, and go. That’s my plan, and anyone else who’s lost momentum is welcome to join me.

Related Entry:

++++++

“Momentum solves 80% of your problems.” – John C. Maxwell

The post Momentum – My Strengths and Struggles appeared first on RossTraining.com.



from RossTraining.com http://bit.ly/2HswpOR

No comments:

Post a Comment