Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Yelich Speaks

Christian Yelich sits down to talk with NY Times reporters. Yelich is interesting throughout:


Every hit almost feels like a miracle because pitchers are throwing so hard. Do you ever sit back and think, This is a really freakish skill I have?


Sometimes it feels a lot harder than other times. There’s times when you’re in the on-deck circle or on the bench and you’re like: ‘I have no shot. I don’t know how I’m going to do this but I’ve got to figure it out.’ And other times you’re more locked in and it doesn’t feel as hard. It’s the same feeling every spring training when the pitchers are throwing their bullpen or live batting practices and you’re like” ‘Oh man, this might be the year I go 0 for 500. I don’t know how I’m going to do this.’ And then you get back to the process. I feel like, from the side or in the dugout, this guy is throwing is so hard. And then when you get in there, it’s not really what you think it is because you’re so used to it. It just slows down every day when you’re in there.

NYTimes.com

I also like his take on OBP and batting average, which is that getting on base is very important, but getting on base with hits is better.



from baseballmusings.com http://bit.ly/2S8Fu3v

No comments:

Post a Comment