Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Key Tone for Ketel

Robinson Cano talks about the future of Ketel Marte, and makes some very good points:

“I loved what I saw from him,” Cano said. “But I told him he needs to go home and say, ‘Yeah, I did good in my first year in the big leagues, but the second one is the toughest one because now people have high expectations. You have to go home and keep working on your speed. I don’t care if you want to hit 30 homers. Your job is to get on base for us and when you do that, get on base and steal bases, people are going to talk more about you than if you just hit homers.'”

Marte is interesting to due to his jump in OBP. In the minors, where he tended to be young for his level, he posted a .330 OBP in 1986 PA. At age 21, he comes to the majors and posts a .351 OBP in 247 PA. It could be for real, given his OBP jumped in the minors as well, .366 when he was down in 2015. So Cano’s advice is spot on. Marte looks like the kind of hitter who would be great at the top of the order, and he needs to build on his success so far.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/1nMzvhO

No comments:

Post a Comment