Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Walt Williams Passes

Walt Williams, nicknamed “No-Neck”, died at the age of 72:

Walt “No-Neck” Williams was just 5-6, 165 pounds during his playing days. He played the last three years of his career with the Indians and Yankees before retiring in 1975.

Williams played in an era when funky nicknames were the norm. Catfish Hunter, Blue Moon Odom and Goose Gossage were among Williams’ many colorful contemporaries.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I remember the first time I saw him play, the television announcer referred to the nickname before I saw him. My reaction was, “He really has no neck!”

Williams was a low-power hacker. He put the ball in play, mostly recording singles for a .270 career BA and a .365 slugging percentage. He was a good role player and valuable off the bench, but he’ll be remembered for his unusual appearance.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/1Skrmwk

No comments:

Post a Comment