Monday, August 22, 2016

Regret is Poison – Gary Vaynerchuk

No Regrets

It was just last year when I first heard of Gary Vaynerchuk. At the time, I shared one of his videos when discussing some of the parallels between business and training. Since that entry, I have really come to enjoy the message that he preaches. Although his work is primarily directed towards entrepreneurs, I’ve found much of what he says applicable to my own training and coaching. For instance, we share many of the same beliefs regarding the importance of hard work, patience, and living without regrets. One brief, yet powerful example can be seen in the video that follows.

No Regrets

Before you watch the video, be aware that it does include foul language. The message itself is extremely powerful however.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had people ask me why I work so hard or how I stay so motivated. I used to be surprised when I’d get these questions, but it’s unfortunately become quite common. It’s only Monday and I’ve already had three people email me this week asking for tips on staying motivated.

Since when did it become so unusual to bust your ass so that you can someday look back on your life without regrets? In my opinion, it should be unusual to live any other way.

Fear

There’s not many things in this world that scare me. With that said, it scares the crap out of me to imagine sitting on my death bed wishing I had done things differently. I’m far from perfect and I’ve made more mistakes than most, but I’ve never been one to hesitate from trying something new or different. I’ve always believed that it’s better to try, fail, and learn than it is to sit and wonder what could have been. The last place I want to see my dreams end up is in a graveyard.

Gary’s Message

Most people will nod their head in agreement as they watch the video above. What most won’t do though is take the time to actually follow Gary’s advice. I suggest otherwise.

You’ll be amazed at how much you can learn by simply talking to someone who is approaching the end of their life. No matter how much you think you know, they have wisdom to share that you’ll never find anywhere else. There’s no book or video in the world that can compare to 80+ years of living on this planet.

Final Thoughts

As an old saying suggests, growing older is a privilege denied to many. Therefore, the next time you see someone who has been fortunate enough to experience that privilege, take a moment to listen and learn from them. Ask them if there is anything they regret.

More often than not, they will share regrets over something they didn’t do, rather than something they did. Take that message to heart so that if someone someday asks you the same, you can answer by saying you did everything that you wanted to do.

That’s all the motivation I’ll ever need to wake up and grind each day.

Related Entry:

+++++

“A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.” – John Barrymore

The post Regret is Poison – Gary Vaynerchuk appeared first on RossTraining.com.



from RossTraining.com http://ift.tt/2ba8wfy

No comments:

Post a Comment