Thursday, August 25, 2016

Talking Ng

Via BBTF, an interview with Kim Ng, thought by many to be the leading candidate to be the first female GM of a major league sports team. Her career approach seems to mirror mine:

You always want to think there’s a next step, but I don’t track my career like that. I know everyone wants to track careers like that. A lot of people want to track my career in particular like that. I can honestly say I don’t think any [one particular move] is the obvious next step. I just try and do my job really well. I’ve been recognized throughout my career for doing my job really well and I’ve been promoted to great positions. Coming here to the league office, people might have said it was an odd move, but I’ve made an odd move before, and it helped me get an assistant GM job. I love being in the game, and I am open to a lot of different things. I can’t say I’ve got this all mapped out. If I had done that, I would have driven myself crazy years ago. I take things as they come.

I’ve always ended up with interesting jobs that way. I was disappointed in her position on an international draft:

It’s being discussed in the current negotiations—what our system of entry will be on the international side. There is a potential that we could still get a draft in the next agreement. I would have a lot of influence in terms of how that happens. I think that would be really interesting to be involved in. My last five years at MLB have been very illuminating in a lot of ways. The international world is something I might not have been up to my eyeballs in as an assistant GM, but I am now, and it’s been eye-opening and a lot of fun. An international draft is something I’d be eager and enthusiastic to work on.

Meanwhile, baseball is just coming around to trying to fix baseball in Puerto Rico after destroying it by instituting a draft there.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2bs9vUC

No comments:

Post a Comment