Thursday, January 25, 2018

Brewers Stock Up

In addition to the Christian Yelich deal, the Brewers also signed Lorenzo Cain.

No word yet on terms, but we will update with that info once it becomes available. Go ahead and ignore all the stuff I wrote in the Yelich post about Cain being more likely to be signed by Texas since Milwaukee now wouldn’t be interested.

UPDATE — Jerry Crasnick says the deal is five years, $80 million, which I think was about what was expected heading into the offseason for Cain.

Cain plays 2018 as a 32 year old. He averaged 4.4 WAR over the last three seasons. Starting there and taking a 10% discount, I would expect him to produce 17.6 WAR over the next five years. At $8 million per war, I would value him closer to $140 million. His contract indicates the Brewers are valuing a WAR at about $4.5 million. I suppose that a change in how teams value free agents is afoot, but that means contracts are going to come in a lot lower than what I would expect.

It seems to me that with both Yelich and Cain in the outfield, Ryan Braun will definitely be moving to first base.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2Dzuqlq

No comments:

Post a Comment