Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Protest Play

When I got home from a day out of state, my phone went off with a message from my daughter about the Red Sox playing their game with the Yankees under protest. You can see the play here, from FS1. I also saw the YES version of the play, and I think Michael Kay got it right. On a grounder to the first baseman, Holliday thought the first baseman stepped on the bag, and Holliday was in a run down rather than being forced at second. So he headed back to first, thinking first was still available to him. I’m wondering if because Mitch Moreland stepped out of the way rather than trying to catch the ball, if he conceded the play? Everyone except the reviewers in NY and the umpires on the field thought it was interference.

The teams remain tied at one in the top of the 16th inning.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2t35SM7

No comments:

Post a Comment