Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Mind of Hedges

There are plenty of spring training stories about players being the best physical shape of their lives, but here is one about Austin Hedges getting his mind and personality in the best shape of his life:

This offseason, as part of his quest to be the total player, Hedges read “Primal Leadership,” a book that explains the emotions that go into leadership.

“It really hit me hard,” he said. “Sometimes people are like, ‘I’m not going to make anybody’s day and I’m not going to ruin anybody’s day.’ This book was saying you’re doing one or the other.”

Basically, Hedges came to believe that every interaction, no matter how small, contributes to the ebb and flow of everyone’s day.

His desire to be influential seems boundless, and it requires he continues emerging from a comfort zone.

“I’m super introverted,” Hedges said. “I’m an only child. I’m naturally very introverted. It takes a lot to bring me out of my shell. It helps with a special group of guys to open up a little bit. But I feel like I have to take a lot of pride in going, ‘OK, get out of your shell.’

“If I’m not influencing someone in a positive way, I’m influencing them in a negative way. And that’s the last thing this clubhouse needs.”

Changing one’s personality if very difficult. It’s good to see Hedges trying.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2FOXQOc

No comments:

Post a Comment