Monday, April 15, 2019

Big Hands

I enjoyed the interview with Henry Aaron during Sunday Night Baseball yesterday. At 85 years old, we don’t know how much longer he’ll be around to talk about his part in the history of the game. My only criticism is I did not hear anyone ask about Aaron’s part in integrating the southern minor leagues. The question would seem appropriate given this is Jackie Robinson day, and he Aaron spoke about how Robinson helped Aaron as a player. It’s a minor quibble.

I did like Alex Rodriguez asking about hand size. Rodriguez is three inches taller than Aaron according to Baseball Reference, yet their hands are the same size. In general, the ball players I’ve met all have large hands. I remember one day at ESPN some people where tossing a rubber ball in the news room, and it got away. It took some bounces toward Reynolds, and even though it was bouncing a bit erratically, Reynolds scooped it up without even thinking. It was at that moment I noticed how large his hand were compared to the ball.

So I can comfort myself that my poor ability to catch a ball is a result of my small hands.

🙂



from baseballmusings.com http://bit.ly/2V0mmGf

No comments:

Post a Comment