Thursday, June 29, 2017

Hero Ump

MLB umpire John Tumpane stopped a woman from jumping off a bridge in Pittsburgh on Wednesday:

The bridge was mostly empty at that time of day. Tumpane rushed toward the woman, who appeared calm, and asking what was going on.

“I just wanted to get a better look of the city from this side,” she replied, according to the umpire’s recollection.

“Oh no,” Tumpane said, hooking his arm around hers. “You don’t want to do that. It’s just as good over here. Let’s go grab some lunch and talk.”

“No, no, no,” she answered. “I’m better off on this side. Just let me go.”

“I’m not going to let you go,” he said. “Let’s talk this out. We’ll get you back over here.”

“No one wants to help me,” she repeated. “Just let me go.”

“No, we’re here to help you.”

“You’ll forget me tomorrow.”

“I’ll never forget you,” he said. “You can have my promise on that.”

It took a while and a lot more cajoling, but Tumpane and others were able to restrain her until help arrived. He stayed positive and brought her back from the brink. He should get a pass on bad calls for a while.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2sUe8R0

No comments:

Post a Comment