Thursday, June 29, 2017

Turner Fractured

The Washington Nationals lose Trea Turner for an extended period after he suffers a broken wrist due to a hit by pitch:

The 24-year old shortstop remained in the game and caught a pop-up in the top of the eighth inning, but was replaced in the top of the ninth by reserve infielder Wilmer Difo.

“I didn’t know,” Turner said. “I had tape on my wrist, so initially it didn’t feel that bad. But I went out there and tried throwing. It hurt to lob the ball, but it felt fine when I threw it as hard as I could or basically full speed.

“So I stayed in there a little bit, and then after a little while it started stiffening up on me so I figured I’d get out of there. In a close game, didn’t want to make a double-cut play or whatever it might be. I figured (Stephen) Drew might have a better shot or Difo. They’d have a better shot at playing some defense.”

He’ll probably be out two months. So the Nationals have now lost their two table setters, with Adam Eaton gone for the season. I wonder if the team will move Bryce Harper up to the second slot, at least until Jason Werth returns. Luckily for the Nationals, they built a big lead, so they will likely survive this injury also.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2sslSGx

No comments:

Post a Comment