Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Kershaw Game

Last night Clayton Kershaw produced what I consider a strange pitching line. He walked one and struck out ten in 6 1/3 innings, but allowed six runs as the Mets hit four home runs against him. It also struck me as something I seem to see a lot lately; a pitcher with certain aspects of the game that are great, but the result is terrible.

I thought I could find games like this using Bil James Game Scores. Game Scores have a positive component (innings pitched, going deep into the game, and strikeouts) and a negative component (runs and earned runs, hits and walks). I wanted to see how many pitchers came out high in both, with at least 30 positive points and 30 negative points. Kershaw’s game is a great example of this, as he produced 33 positive points, and 37 negative points. There have been 25 such games this season. I thought Masahiro Tanaka would have a few of these, but in fact he had just one. Michael Fulmer pitched three. Alex Cobb, Matt Shoemaker, and Corey Kluber had two.

My mistake is in thinking there were a lot of game like this. Last year there were 82 such games. In 2015 there were 92 such games. (Jeff Samardzija had four that year.) So these games are not on the rise, in fact they may be happening less.



from baseballmusings.com http://ift.tt/2sObRXV

No comments:

Post a Comment