Thursday, April 19, 2018

Batter Power Ratings

A few years ago Bill James came up with a system of rating pitchers, an effort to decide who the best pitcher is today. It’s a system based on game scores, and uses a combination of long and short term success to rank pitchers. I coded a version of it for the Day by Day Database, but James asked me to limit the output to historical data only, since he posts the current version on his web site. So you can look at two years ago or earlier.

I came up with a game score for batters based loosely on linear weights. I use a similar methodology, adjusting for the park, including post-season games, and penalizing batters when they don’t start for a stretch. You can see the rankings here. Aaron Judge is currently slightly ahead of Mike Trout. The red hot Jed Lowrie is fifth. You can put in any date you wish, have fun!

If there are any issues, let me know.



from baseballmusings.com https://ift.tt/2vuXFpJ

No comments:

Post a Comment