Monday, August 27, 2018

The Spin

Alan Nathan publishes a new way to infer transverse spin on pitches that is more accurate than the current method employed by StatCast:

My recommendation to Trackman, MLBAM, MLB analysts, and anyone else doing analytics based on spin and movement is to use Technique 2. I made the same recommendation to Sportvision 10 years ago, although my advice was not taken. Nevertheless, some analysts have followed my advice, including Pitch Info, several major league clubs, and Glenn Healey in the recent analysis he presented at the Saberseminar. Those who would like to use Technique 2 for obtaining movement and transverse spin might find my spreadsheet template helpful.

It’s a very informative article.



from baseballmusings.com https://ift.tt/2wgC7eo

No comments:

Post a Comment